Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Entitlements

I believe there is a heavy case of entitlement personality disorder in this town I live in.

Today I was out shopping and people were above their usual rudeness. Example when asked one person why they left their cart out in the parking lot instead of taking it to a corral, the person responded with:

"Why should I do their job?"

However the big pinch of the day was at Dollar Tree where I witnessed the following. The customer is putting her items on the belt and telling the cashier to check the lids, although she already was. The cashier jokily explained that the lids were often loosen by people who actually sell the liquids and leave only half a bottle behind. to this the customer said:

"I work with the homeless and a dollar saved is a dollar earned"

At this point I had to bite my tongue, it is still stealing.

Then the customer was trying to use the belt area to dump her money out. Only it was still going. She demanded the cashier stop it. Turns out the money was triggering it to go. Then when picking up her bags "You need to double bag this."

It was a big of napkins! Seriously?! She made the cashier double every bag and triple bag the napkins. All the time saying this like "You should have someone here bagging for you"

The cashier responded with "I had to send her on a break. We were slow and state law requires a ten minute break."

I could go on with this example but you get the idea. Also seen today in many places, a woman arguing over her gift card that no longer worked, wanting her money back. Gift cards themselves say that they can not be exchanged for cash. I listened to a man scream, yes scream, at a cashier wanting to exchange a dollar for quarters when he couldn't open his till because he was ringing up a customer. A worker had to get off a ladder to help a elderly woman pick up something and another shopper grabbed the ladder and used it themselves to get something down. I saw security drag someone out of a stock room and heard just this part: "We told only employees are allowed in there." I watched a man demand a second cashier when he was not only the next on in line but the customer in front of him was already paying. on that same vein, a saw a woman try to stop a cashier while she was working to tell her she needed a another cashier and then spend several minutes telling her how to do her job.

I could go on.

If this is the retail world before Halloween then I'm not shopping at all in November or December.
.
My opinion, YOU the customer are NOT entitled to be rude. YOU are NOT entitled to have the rules and law bent around your world, your life. Deal with it.